This Page

has been moved to new address

Do You Yoga?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: Do You Yoga?

Monday, February 7, 2011

Do You Yoga?

I remember the first time I went to yoga how nervous I was. I’m not very flexible, or coordinated, and I just imagined that everyone would be doing perfect poses and laughing at me. Boy was I wrong! Yoga is nothing like that – it’s about striving for your personal best. It’s also about realizing that no one is perfect. Even the teachers are constantly striving to reach a bit further or hold poses a little bit longer.


One thing I love about yoga is that it forces you to slow down and look inward. Instead of rushing though 20 reps, you take a pose and hold it, breathing in and out deeply. Movements are never fast, and concentrate on form. Some styles of yoga are more vigorous, but they all concentrate on good form.

Yoga involves deep, mindful breathing which can increase your lung capacity. The concentration on deep breathing also promotes relaxation, and most people feel less stressed after doing yoga.
Another great thing about yoga is how well it strengthens your core. Having a strong core makes everything you do so much easier. It usually solves that whole “aching back” problem, and as your core becomes stronger your posture will as well.

Yoga isn’t just about the exercise, though. It’s a whole state of mind. It’s about honoring others, and constantly striving to better yourself. The phrase Namaste is used often in yoga classes. Loosely translated, it means The God/Goddess Spirit within me recognizes and honors the God/Goddess Spirit within you. It recognizes that we are all on equal standing, and children of divinity. No one is better than anyone else.

It is also about taking care of your entire body – your mind and your physical body. Not just by exercising, but also by being aware of what you put into your body. This week I’ll be sharing some yoga-related topics with you throughout the week – I hope you enjoy!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At February 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also adore yoga! It truly slows my mind down and makes me feel very healthy and strong. I discovered hot yoga (there are a few types; Moksha and Bikram) 2 years ago and I cannot go back to regular yoga now. The added sweating really releases the toxins in your body and it becomes more cardio-intensive.

 
At February 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger April said...

I've wanted to try hot yoga, but haven't had the chance yet.

 
At February 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Blogger JJ said...

The older I get, the more I practice Hatha Yoga to help me maintain enough flexibility to perform martial arts routines. It is a wonderful, safe exercise, with a spiritual component.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home