This Page

has been moved to new address

How to Grow Your Own Sprouts

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: How to Grow Your Own Sprouts

Thursday, March 24, 2011

How to Grow Your Own Sprouts

Spring is here in the Florida Panhandle, and Spring always reminds me of sprouting.  Sure you can sprout anytime, but it seems ideal during the new life and hope that Spring offers.  I love sprouts!  I use them on top of my (veggie) burgers, and even make salads out of them.  They're also great on top of a stir-fry, or instead of lettuce in a taco.  The possibilities are endless!  Sprouts are really good for you too - read about just some of the benefits here!  

These sprouts are ready to eat!
If you haven't sprouted before, it's really easy!  I only sprout 1 tablespoon at a time, since it's just me eating them.  I also have a Easy Sprout Sprouter , which I highly recommend, but you can make your own with a glass jar and some cheesecloth if you'd like.  Sprouting seeds can usually be bought at your local health food store, or ordered online.
  1. Put your seeds in the bottom of the jar, cover with plenty of filtered water, and soak overnight.  I think it's important to use organic seeds when you're sprouting, as well as the cleanest water you can get.
  2. The next morning, drain the water (that's where the cheesecloth comes in - you can attach it over the mouth of the jar with a rubber band).  Rinse the seeds with fresh water and drain again, getting as much water out as possible.  
  3. Continue the rinse/drain cycle every evening and morning for 3-5 days (depending on the temps in your house).  During this time I try to keep them out of the sunlight.  I sometimes give them an additional rinse/drain around noon.  
  4. You'll know when they are ready when the leaves start to emerge (about 3 days) - I like to put them where they can get a little sunlight at this point!  This greens the leaves up, but don't let them get hot or sit in the sunlight for too long (usually a few hours on a sunny kitchen counter will do).  
  5. After they are ready, I put the sprouts in a big bowl of water to get a lot of the hulls out.  Most of the hulls sink to the bottom.  The ones that float are pretty easy to scoop out.  
  6. Drain the sprouts well and store in your fridge in a breathable container!  Enjoy!
Hulls of the sprouts left in the bowl - most fall to the bottom!

I hope you'll try sprouting if you never have before - they are tiny little powerhouses of nutrition!

A yummy sprout and apple salad
The container I use for sprouting.

Labels: , , , , ,

24 Comments:

At March 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

I am following you back from the blog hop. Thanks for following!

http://www.thefrugalreview.com

 
At March 24, 2011 at 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how neat. I would have never thought to grow those. But I use to eat them a ton in veggies wraps and other salads in college. Need to reconnect with the sprouts!

 
At March 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker said...

How neat! Now.... how do I get my kids to eat them?

 
At March 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Krisztina Clifton said...

Just found your blog, and I love it! Thanks fo r this post about sprouts! I can't always find them at my grocery store and I love eating them. They're so healthy!

 
At March 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM , Blogger April said...

Good question Lisa! If you figure it out let me know!
Maybe let them help grow them? It would at least get them interested! My daughter likes watching them grow, but she won't eat them yet.

 
At March 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Blogger April said...

Another good thing about growing your own is you can do your own blend. Those pictured are the zesty sprouting blend.

 
At March 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Miriam said...

Sprouting your own is the best! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

 
At March 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Blogger K.M. said...

Neat! I may try that sometime!
New follower here, hoping that you will follow back!
http://kellyhunterphotography.blogspot.com/

 
At March 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Blogger K.M. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Stopping by from the Hops to follow.
Posh
http://poshonabudget.com/2011/02/wow-a-lot-of-hopping.html

 
At March 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM , Blogger Lisa B. said...

I tried this before, and they did sprout... though I wasn't a big fan of the way they tasted... too "earthy" tasting for me. :( Any suggestions?

 
At March 26, 2011 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I am your new follower from the weekend hopp and I look forward to coming back and reading more. You have such a cute blog. Hope you come and visit me too.
http://sivmaria.blogspot.com

 
At March 26, 2011 at 7:38 PM , Blogger HomemadeBaby said...

I love growing sprouts! So delicious.. I just throw them in a pita with vegenaise :) My daughter also likes to watch them grow.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM , Blogger Marilyn said...

So Lovely.. Following you from blog hop.. I'm Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com, hope you can stop by sometime.. TY

 
At March 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM , Blogger April said...

Lisa - maybe you could try a different kind? There are many different types of sprouts, and they all taste different!

 
At April 2, 2011 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Candace said...

I absolutely love sprouts and I tried growing some with some sprouting trays that my mother-in-law gave me. They sprouted easily but were so hard to get out of the trays. They would tangle up. It was so frustrating; but the ones that I could get out tasted sooo good. I like the one you are using. You are encouraging me to give it another shot using something different to hold them. I love sprouts on a sandwich. yum!

 
At April 2, 2011 at 8:26 AM , Blogger April said...

I just had sprouts with my cream cheese and bagel this morning - yum!
I really like the sprouter I have - sometimes a few stick at the bottom, but not many.

 
At April 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

this is really interesting! I want to try growing my own sprouts.

 
At July 14, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Sounds good, I need to try it. Stumbled!

 
At July 14, 2011 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Redkathy said...

WOW this sounds really easy! My son loves sprouts. Will be passing it on to him, thanks.

Happy Stumble Through Thursday!

 
At July 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Sprouts, love the Panhandle too! I Stumbled, GFC and Facebook too!

 
At July 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Eat To Live said...

So glad I found your blog.... I love sprouting grains and seeds.

Here is a post I did on chia.. so easy
http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/2011/06/growing-chia-seeds-sprouts.html

By the way, I am now following GFC

 
At July 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Wow...this is pretty cool! Who knew? (well, not me, anyway!)

Stumbled you...my post is: http://keenlykristin.com/2011/07/nutrisystem-week-12-going-strong-and-in-love/

Thanks for linking up!
Kristin :)

 
At July 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Mama.Mommy.Mom. said...

This is pretty neat! It would be much more cost effective than buying sprouts since it would only be me eating them here too.

I stumbled you and my post is http://www.mamamommymom.com/2011/07/greek-inspired-pasta-salad.html if you want to stumble back!

Jamie @ http://www.mamamommymom.com
http://www.facebook.com/mamamommymom
http://www.twitter.com/mamamommymom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home