This Page

has been moved to new address

Polenta Two Ways

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: Polenta Two Ways

Monday, March 28, 2011

Polenta Two Ways

Recently I decided I wanted to make something with polenta.  I had a ton of grits, and I’m not a big grits person, so I thought polenta would be a great way to use them up.  I found this recipe and decided to use it, adding some Italian seasoning and sun dried tomatoes.  It turned out pretty good, even better with this wonderful Italian topping.



Recipe One:  Italian Sauce
  • One 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • One onion, chopped
  • One red pepper
  • One can artichoke hearts, drained
  • 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 1-2  veggie sausage, sliced
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes

  1. Sauté onions and garlic in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add mushrooms and red pepper flakes, sauté five more minutes. 
  3. Add tomatoes, artichokes, and sausage.  Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. 
  4. Serve on top of the polenta. 
  5. This makes a great pizza topping as well!


However, after the first evening it wasn’t quite as tasty.  I sliced the polenta and warmed it up on a skillet, but it still wasn’t the same as the first time, since the polenta lost that crunchy/creamy texture.  I decided I needed to do something entirely different with the rest of the polenta, and came up with this second great recipe!

Mexican Polenta
  • One onion
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • One can refried beans (I used low fat with jalapeno’s) – be sure to check the label and make sure there is no lard!
  • One can green enchilada sauce
  • Leftover polenta, or a tube of store-bought. 
  • Mexican Cheese (about ½ cup)

  1. Sauté onions and garlic in a little EVOO.  After 5-10 minutes, add the can of refried beans and ½ of the enchilada sauce.  Heat until sauce is bubbling.
  2. Slice the polenta into ½ inch thick slices and lay down in a 8x8 glass pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. 
  3. Top with the bean mixture.  Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top, and cover with cheese. 
  4. Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
There really is polenta under this creamy topping - you just can't see it!


This was SOOO delicious!  I thought the Mexican flavors went perfectly with the polenta, plus the creaminess of the topping was a great contrast to the heftiness of the polenta.  And it was so quick and easy to put together!  I’m sure you could make the beans and sauce yourself and make it much healthier, I was just short on time.  

Be sure to check out the post below this one for a chance to get extra entries into an upcoming contest I'll have - I'm giving away an Instant Pot - rice cooker, pressure cooker, steamer, and more!

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At March 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM , Blogger Krafty Max Originals said...

I couldn't find the post about the Blog Hop, so I am leaving my note here....

BLOG HOPping around - I am now a follower of your blog, wont you also follow me?? ~KM
Krafty Max Originals

 
At March 28, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

The Mexican Polenta looks so good to me! Thanks for sharing!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Newfollower via Mingle Monday Blog Hop. Hoep you will follow me too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-290-blog-hops.html

 
At March 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM , Blogger Christy said...

I am not sure which way I would like better - I know my family would go for both too - winners in our book! thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Miz Helen said...

Hi April,
These are great recipes that we would just love. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger OKinUK said...

Gah! I miss polenta. This country has no idea what I'm talking about when I mention polenta or "mush".
Popped over from Tasty Tuesday!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 3:53 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Mmm, both of those toppings sound fantastic especially that Italian one. Your creativity is amazing.

 
At March 29, 2011 at 11:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess to having never cooked with polenta before, but you've convinced me!

Yum! :)

 
At March 30, 2011 at 3:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't love grits on their own, but I do love them in things. These recipes both sound really good! Have you tried grits with shrimp? It sounds like an odd combination, but it's a Southern staple. I tried it for the first time at a wedding a couple years ago and have been hooked ever since.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM , Blogger April said...

Liz - I love shrimp and grits! I eat seafood sometimes (it's the only meat I eat) and that's one of my faves!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Hanna said...

This looks great! WE love polenta:) Thank you for sharing and for linking up to the hadnamde hog:)

Hanna

 
At March 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Blogger April J Harris said...

Both these recipes sound delicious - but I think I like the first one best because it has artichokes in it and they are one of my favourite things! Thank you for sharing this post with The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.

 
At April 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM , Blogger jayedee said...

we love polenta with a simple tomato sauce....another simple way to serve is to simply saute it in a little earth balance (vegan buttery spread) and serve it with maple syrup! we love love love it that way!

 
At April 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Alicen said...

This looks so good. I am bookmarking this! thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home