This Page

has been moved to new address

Little Switches Can Make a Big Difference!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: Little Switches Can Make a Big Difference!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Little Switches Can Make a Big Difference!

We all know it’s the little things that matter.  Making a small change in your life can make a big impact!  We’re all about change in our household – for the past two years, change is something we deal with on a continuous basis since my husband is working in a different state!
 
One little change I’ve made recently is getting rid of something in our house every day.  Sometimes it goes in the trash, sometimes it goes into the recycling, and sometimes it goes into our ever-growing yard sale box.  Although this project started just recently, it is already making a big difference in my life and house!

Why did I make this change?  My life was becoming too cluttered!  I’m awfully sentimental, so I tend to hang on to things for their emotional value.  Unfortunately, these same things can also hold you down.  I’ve wanted to work on getting rid of things before, but the task always seemed to daunting.  Then I had my “eureka” moment.  Why not concentrate on just one thing each day?  Getting rid of just one thing isn’t so hard, is it?  Switching from associating the object with an emotion to realizing that it is just another "thing" has been great for me!
 
This has definitely worked for me!  I still have a long way and lots of clutter to go through, but each time I put something in its pile to leave our house I feel relief.  Some days I even go crazy and find a lot to get rid of; other days it may just be a card I’d been hanging on to for way too long.  I’m starting to realize that just because I get rid of something that emotion isn’t gone forever, I’ll always have my memories!  I read an article that said you could take photos of items you didn’t want to forget about, but I haven’t even had to do that yet.  

Each item that is gone is leaving a space open for a new feeling, a new adventure.  My life has been about looking towards the future lately, so I need to make my home reflect that!  I’m sure that as I continue this journey it will be a huge relief for all of us.  The great thing is that it’s teaching my daughter not to hold onto things as well.  I moved a lot of her toys into her room so they would no longer be scattered around the house, and she quickly decided to get rid of several things so she would have more room for playing.  What a great lesson!

In the end, it’s only things!  That will continue to be my mantra for the rest of the year!

What little switches that make a big difference have you made lately?  

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Cottonelle blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” 

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At April 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Deb K said...

Hi!
I am you newest follower from the Tail Spin Hop!

You can find me here~
http://debshere.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
Deb

 
At April 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Miriam said...

I'm sorry your husbnd works in another state, that would be so hard.
My life is WAY too cluttered too, we're planning a yard sale in a couple of weeks in hopes for a great kick off to a simpler life. Getting rid of one thing every day? That really is a great idea :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

 
At April 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Blogger April said...

Thanks Miriam! It's working well for me. And even though I started with the easier things, it's making it easier with the harder things. I realized nothing bad happened with those little things! Today I got rid of a hand-crafted photo album we've never used. I realized someone else may actually use it, as opposed to it sitting in a corner collecting dust!

 
At April 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Sakura Sandra said...

Hey there! I am your newest follower and I'd really appreciate it if you stopped by my blog to follow me as well. :)

-Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

 
At April 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Hi! I'm trying to de-clutter too!

I'm a new follower from Boost Your Buzz!

Kristin :)
Keenly Kristin

 
At April 8, 2011 at 5:29 AM , Blogger kathleen said...

Hello there,Thank you for the great quality of your blog, each time i come here, i’m amazed.

-Kathy
healthandwellnessconsultants.com

 
At April 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM , Blogger Deb K said...

I just read this post and you don't know how much you hit home with me too.As I lost both of my parents{Dad~4 years~Mom~1 year}and have been hanging on to their "Stuff" too. I haven't done as much as you as I don't get rid of something daily.But I just donated 6 bags of things to the Epilepsy today and that was a Huge start for me.

 
At April 8, 2011 at 7:11 PM , Blogger April said...

Deb - that is a huge start - 6 bags is a lot of stuff. It's so hard when we associate the things with the people, but getting rid of their stuff doesn't get rid of their memories!

 
At April 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM , Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

I am trying to get more organized and getting rid of a lot of excess in my life! This post really hit home for me. Thank You!

 
At April 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM , Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At April 19, 2011 at 2:02 AM , Blogger rae-ann said...

fantastic - well done you; it feels great to declutter. My 'little steps' is to do with achieving balance in my life. I'm aware I spend too long at the computer so I'm bringing in other activities to balance that - one thing is going for a short walk every day; I feel SO much better for that!

mrs green @littlegreenblog.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home