This Page

has been moved to new address

Chocolate Banana Bread

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: Chocolate Banana Bread

Monday, May 16, 2011

Chocolate Banana Bread

Have you ever heard of Xylitol?  Me neither, until the friendly people over at Emerald Forest asked me if I would be willing to try it out in a recipe.  I'm not a fan of artificial sweetners, but xylitol is all natural - they make theirs with North American Birch.  To me, it tasted just like sugar, but it has 40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbs.  What a great sugar substitute for people who can't have sugar or who are looking to cut back on calories!

I made a chocolate banana bread with mine, and it turned out delicious!  Sorry I don't have a picture : (.  It got eaten too quickly!


Chocolate Banana Bread

3 mashed bananas
3/4 cup xylitol
2 T ground flax combined with 6 T water (or 2 eggs)
½ cup butter, melted
1 ¾ cups flour
¼ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325.  Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl whisk all ingredients together.  
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.  
Bake for about an hour, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


**I received xylitol for free in order to try it in a recipe.  I was under no obligation to post about it, and all opinions expressed are 100% my own.  

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At May 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Candace said...

I have heard of xylitol and have seen it listed as an ingredient when I following a strict low-carb diet. I've always thought that it was another chemical sugar substitute. I didn't realize that it was a natural product. I'm going to have to give it another look and do some reading on it. Thanks for sharing the information. The bread sounds delicious!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM , Blogger April said...

I know! The name does sound very chemically! Wiki has a good article on it. As with anything else, I'm sure moderation is key even if it is better than sugar!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM , Blogger b. lee said...

wow! I'm an avid banana bread maker & never thought to add cocoa!! love it * really like the addition of Flax as well ... need to add that to my baked goods more often * *

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Never made CHOCOLATE bread before?! So amazing. Can't wait to try it when I get home in a few days!

 
At June 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Dana West Young said...

We have been making changes in our diet and I love sweet stuff. This sounds great! Thanks!

 
At July 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM , Blogger Beauty To Love said...

-What a WONDERFUL Recipe!! Thank you so much for posting it. I love BANANA BREAD and would never have thought to put Chocolate in it. This will definitely be the next item I bake, as I have been wanting to try baking with Xylitol also. THANKS!! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home