This Page

has been moved to new address

10 Tips for Keeping Your Family Safe on the Road

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: 10 Tips for Keeping Your Family Safe on the Road

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

10 Tips for Keeping Your Family Safe on the Road

Summer is here, and that means lots of travelling for most of us!  While you’re enjoying your vacation, it’s important to remember to keep your family safe while you’re on the road.

  1. Be sure to make sure your car is well maintained before you leave.  Do you need an oil change?  How is the tire pressure?  How about the air filter.  Not having to worry about these and other minor maintenance problems can save you both time and money!
  2. Ensure that all car seats are installed properly.  Also make sure you are using the right type of seat for your child!
  3. Keep your eyes on the road.  I know I’m guilty of this.  When your child is angry and yelling, it can be hard to maintain focus.  If you need to reach in the back for something, just pull over at a safe location,
  4. Take plenty of rest stops.  This can prevent fatigue and distraction.  It also breaks the trip up for your children, so they’re more likely to stay calm. 
  5. Beware of flying objects in your car.  They can be dangerous projectiles if you have an accident!  Even small objects are dangerous when they are in a high impact car crash.
  6. Think you can ignore a chip in your windshield? Think again! The windshield provides up to 30% of your vehicles structural integrity, and a chip smaller than 6 inches (or the size of a dollar bill) can easily be repaired by filling it with a special resin.  A chip could turn into a crack at any time, often when you are least expecting it. Windshield repair is often a safe and economical alternative to a full windshield replacement.  Scheduling a windshield chip repair is easy! Companies like Safelite AutoGlass provide mobile service – wherever your car is – often within 24 hours of your initial call.
  7. Take a refresher course if needed.  If you’re not sure about your driving skills because you don’t drive a lot, take a refresher course before you leave. 
  8. Make sure you’re alert when travelling.  We often travel early in the morning so Little Miss is still sleepy, but my husband is used to waking up early.  He takes the early shift, then I take over when he gets tired. 
  9. Make sure you carry a first aid kit with you.  We carry kits in both of our cars for unexpected emergencies.  They’re inexpensive and invaluable if needed!
  10. Stay off your cell phone.  Cell phones cause so many crashes, there is no need to be on the phone when you’re on the road!  If you must, use an earpiece. 
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Safelite blogging program, for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”



5 Comments:

At June 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey! I'm following you from the green mom hop! :)

I love this list...I never thought about putting a first aid kit in my car! What a great idea!

-Hope
dreamingmommy.blogspot.com

 
At June 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Megan said...

Number 6 made me think of this article:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/120581/almost_deadly_sippy_cup_incident?fb_ref=post_bottom&fb_source=profile_multiline

I never, EVER heard of such a thing and had no idea how dangerous loose objects are in a car. Or I guess I never gave it much thought.

 
At June 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Megan said...

Number 5* not 6. :)

 
At June 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger April said...

That's what I was thinking of when I wrote #5!

 
At June 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM , Blogger T Rex Mom said...

Thanks for following via the green mama blog hop. I appreciate it. I will follow back.

Nice list - my 3 year old son knows he needs to put his cars away before we get into our car because they are just too heavy and could cause some serious damage in an accident.

And I need to get my windshield repaired. Thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home