This Page

has been moved to new address

Indian Sloppy Joes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: Indian Sloppy Joes

Monday, June 27, 2011

Indian Sloppy Joes

This recipe was born out of wanting to make another recipe and not having most of the ingredients, but I have to say, it turned out better than I would have ever imagined!  This is good on a nice big roll, on top of a baked potato, wrapped up in a tortilla, or just by itself!  I think it would make a great dip as well.  It is really addictive, thank goodness it’s really healthy!

One of those tastes better than it looks recipes!

Indian Sloppy Joes

  • 1 C brown lentils
  • 3 C water
  • 4 Asian eggplants (the long slender ones), chopped
  • ½ tsp garam marsala (optional)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp EVOO
  • 1 tsp ginger, minced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2-3 tsp good quality curry powder
  • ½ tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
  • ¼ tsp turmeric powder
  • ¼ tsp smoked paprika
  • 16 oz crushed tomatoes in sauce
  • Handful of matchstick carrots
  • Salt to taste

  1. Put the first four ingredients in a pressure cooker (I used my Instant Pot ) and cook for 20 minutes.  If you don’t have a pressure cooker, bring the water to a boil add the lentils and eggplant, cooking until soft, about 20 minutes.  Add water as necessary.
  2. Once the lentils and eggplant are cooked, mash (I used a potato masher).
  3. Put  oil in bottom of wok or other large pan.  Once it is hot, add the onions, cooking until browned, about 5 minutes. 
  4. Add the spices and cook 2 more minutes.
  5. Add the tomatoes and carrots.  Continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
  6. Add the bean mixture from the pressure cooker and cook 15 more minutes on low.  
Submitted To:



Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At June 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Kristen Thornburg said...

There is a week long GREEN blog hop on my blog right now. :) Thought you might want to join in.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM , Blogger April said...

Thanks! I was supposed to be a co-host for it, but she forgot to put me on the list for some reason...

 
At July 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM , Blogger lewalk said...

Oh my gosh, that looks and sounds soooo good. I'm going to have to get up and fix myself something for lunch now. Lol. I had been putting it off but you made my tummy growl.

lewalk(at)hotmail(dot)com

 
At July 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Mary said...

Cool idea! It sounds delish. I'm putting in my folder of recipes to try. Thanks!

 
At July 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Swathi said...

Indian sloppy joes sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

 
At July 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Claire said...

I love the idea of making sloppy joes from an Indian stew. Vegan, fusion and a sandwich - three things right up my alley. I would love it if you would enter something in my blog event House Favorites: Vegan. Hope to see you there!

 
At July 5, 2011 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my goodness. It's one in the morning, and I should be going to bed, but instead I'm looking at your delicious food and my stomach is grumbling - there is nothing better than Sloppy Joes! I (surprisingly!) have all the ingredients for this, and will totally be making it in the morning!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger April said...

Sarah - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I love that it's made from ingredients you often find at home.

Claire - I hope to enter something soon, I rarely make things the same way each time, so it will be a challenge!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sure sounds good, and healthy too! I printed it out, we are going to try this.. sounds yummy!
Donna D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home