This Page

has been moved to new address

Keep You Children Reading This Summer!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: Keep You Children Reading This Summer!

Friday, June 3, 2011

Keep You Children Reading This Summer!

I love reading with Little Miss - we read books together all of the time, which I believe is a fundamental part of her learning to read later.  I truly believe the more you read to your children the more of an advantage they will have in school!


PBS and iVillage have paired up for a great Summer Reading Community Challenge to keep your children reading through the summer.  



From the IVillage website:


Get your kids reading this summer! We've teamed up with PBS KIDS Raising Readers to create a free 6-week program to help children discover the joys of reading. You'll receive:
  • A daily email with fun activities to build reading skills
  • Tricks and advice from your Challenge coach
  • Great book suggestions for kids of all ages
  • Tips from other parents taking the challenge
  • A chance to win daily prizes
We were fortunate enough to get a PBS reading party that I let her daycare do - books for all of the children, a chart to keep up with reading, bookmarks, bracelets, and more! 



Before we sent the party pack to her school, we played around with this frame!


Looking for books this summer?  Your local library always has tons of free books!  Amazon also carries a lot of free kindle books on it's website - you can use these on your computer or Ipad as well!



Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At June 4, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Blogger Miriam said...

Great post! Reading is SO vital! I real several books to my children each day and we work on letters together (looking to the day when they can read by themselves - they can't wait)! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

 
At June 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Hoening Industries said...

Remember Weekly Reader? Current Events? and Scholastic Book Club? I thought when we talked grandma into signing us up for the summer out of school series was the coolest thing ever. To get those little papers in the mailbox.
It probally only cost about 2 dollars for the whole summer. But not every kid got them. I also remember looking through that book list and picking out a few, 'Not too many, what do you think I am a bank?" books to add to my bookshelf. Those too were maybe only a dollar or two each. We always seemed to order 4 or 5 each. I sometimes see those books on the Public library book shelfs today.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM , Blogger April said...

I do remember those - don't know if they still do them, guess I'll find out in a couple of years. Little Miss gets books once a month from the Imagination Library, which is fun. I just signed her up for Kid's National Geographic too. I remember loving looking through all of my Grandma's National Geographics when I was little - she had so many!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Beginning over girl said...

Love it. Does your library have a summer reading program in addition?

 
At June 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Blogger April said...

They do! I'm glad you mentioned that, I think we're going to the library this afternoon to kick off the reading program for the summer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home