This Page

has been moved to new address

Ground Beef Substitute

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Frugally Green Mom: Ground Beef Substitute

Monday, February 14, 2011

Ground Beef Substitute

In case you haven't noticed, there are a LOT of recipes out on the internet that call for ground beef.  As a vegetarian, you can either ignore all of those recipes or come up with other things to put in place of the beef.  They sell faux crumbles at the store, but I'm not a fan of overly processed food, and question if they are any healthier than meat.  
That's why I was thrilled when I saw that Veggie Converter had posted a recipe for ground beef substitute.  I had to give it a try!  I made some changes to make it my own, and here is what I came up with.  I was very pleased with how it turned out - it's not "meaty" tasting, but it has the right consistency to use in recipes that call for hamburger.  





Ground Beef Substitute

  • 2 C Brown or Red Rice
  • 2 C Green or Brown lentils
  • 2 Tbsp. steak seasoning (I used McCormick's Santa Fe spice blend instead of a steak seasoning)
  • 1/8 C olive oil
  • 1/8 C steak sauce
  • 1/4 C diced sauteed or marinated mushrooms
  • 1/4 C vital wheat gluten
  • 1 C rolled oats, chopped (I used a coffee grinder)



Cook rice, lentils and steak seasoning until slightly soft (I put them in my rice cooker on brown rice setting).  Be sure there is no excess water when done.  Mash slightly with a potato masher - leave it chunky though!  This step gave it a great texture in my opinion.  Combine with remaining ingredients, mashing some more if needed.  Spread into a large pan and bake at 300F for 1 hour, stirring at least every 15 minutes to evenly dehydrate mixture. Store in portion-sized freezer bags. It will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or freezer until used.



This makes a lot!  This time around I put the entire mixture in one casserole dish - I think next time I will use two dishes to let it cook better.  I've used this in one recipe so far with great results!  I use 2 and 1/2 cups of this mixture to equal a pound of ground beef.  

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At February 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this! The Mr. and I are always looking for new, healthier recipes. I might give this a try as well

XX-Keri

 
At February 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Blogger tigerfish said...

Great way to make a ground beef substitute. Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

 
At February 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Amelia@SavoryandSweet said...

This looks like a good recipe, I'm going to have to give it a try! thanks. :)

 
At February 15, 2011 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Candace said...

What a great idea! We are trying to eat less meat around here so this is something that I definitely need to try. Thanks!

 
At February 15, 2011 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Miriam said...

Delcious! You know how I love this kind of stuff :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

 
At March 31, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger lewalk said...

I love this. I bookmarked it to try it. I will eat meat but I would really prefer not to but I also don't want to starve to death. Lol. I love that there is something to try like this. I am going to try it and not tell my family first. Lol.

 
At March 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM , Blogger April said...

@lewalk - I'm not sure if it would fool them, but I think they'll think it's tasty! It doesn't really look like meat, though.

 
At April 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM , Blogger The Jaded Mom said...

This is unique recipe ... I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for posting this.

 
At April 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Mrs. No-No said...

Great! I can't wait to try this - Thanks for following me on FB - I'm looking forward to more of your recipes! :)
Carla at Mrs. No-No Knows

 
At May 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoah, this is so cool! I'll definitely be giving it a shot, especially since Morningstar's Crumbles are getting so darn expensive.

Over from FTLOB's fun post. :) Noce to meet a fellow vegetarian!

 
At May 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Visiting from for the love of blogs fun post. I am totally impressed with this recipe! I'll have to try it out when I'm no longer living with a meat lover :).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home